In equality?

(Photo: Unsplash)

Keep family and friends informed by sharing this article.

The world’s media is chastising the eight richest men on earth because they own more than the poorest 50 per cent of the planet combined.

According to Oxfam, the combined wealth of the richest 1 per cent of people on earth now equals the total wealth of the other 99 per cent. And this 1% Club’s “membership” is now open to any person with total assets of $A993,000 ($US760,000) or more.* 

Massive inequality like this should cause Christians to reflect on how we, as poor as we may feel, are using God’s gifts to show His love to the world.

Is it a sin to be in the 1% Club? No. However, it can make us so distracted, self-focused, busy or proud that we knowingly—or inadvertently—lose our saving relationship with Jesus, and neglect others. [pullquote]

The Bible gives a very clear message to us all. We are to:

  1. Love God with all our heart, soul and mind, and
  2. Love others as our self, (an inevitable outcome of point 1).

Even if our net worth is “only” US$100,000 we’re still richer than 90 per cent of earth’s adults. This great privilege brings great responsibility, but practically sharing God’s love with the world also brings the greatest joy!


* Oxfam’s data is from the Global Wealth Databook 2015 published by Credit Suisse.

Julian Archer is the author of Help! I’ve Been Blessed! and writes from Toowoomba, Queensland.

Related Stories
en_AUEnglish