Adventist student’s incredible story of survival

Taauke Ruevita.

Keep family and friends informed by sharing this article.

Taauke Ruevita was one of just seven survivors of the Kiribati ferry tragedy, which claimed more than 80 lives in January. The 15-year-old Kauma Adventist High School student was also the youngest person to survive. She shared her incredible story with Trans Pacific Union Mission associate education director Mele Vaihola, who recently visited Kiribati.

As soon as the exam results came out and I heard my name on the radio announce that I had passed to attend Kauma, my cousin and I boarded the ship from Kuria Island bound for Tarawa where my mother and sister were waiting for me. My mother is an Adventist who is a single mother looking after me and my older sister.

The ship left for Tarawa on a Sunday at about 8pm. We arrived at Nonouti on Tuesday and spent more than a week there as people had to get their copra to take to Tarawa. We finally left Nonouti on the following Thursday at 6am.

It was 12pm when we noticed there was something wrong but thought it was just a minor problem. The next thing we knew the boat just broke in half. Everything happened too fast. People were swimming toward the four life-saving boats. I was able to get into one with my cousin and there were about 30 of us in the boat.

As we drifted and waited and waited for help, some got tired and tried to swim away. Others just gave up and drowned themselves, which eventually left only seven of us in the boat. We survived by eating coconut that was in our bags. When it finished we were able to catch some fish to eat and for water we just drank seawater. We lost count of days, but it was about 12 days floating at sea until a plane saw our boat and got us rescued.

I cried most of the time, yet I prayed seven times a day, every day, asking God to have mercy on me and  spare my life so that I could see my mother, sister and family again. I owe my life to Him for He heard my cry. Today I am here at Kauma because God has a plan for my life.

Please remember Taauke in your prayers as she still has some physical difficulties due to being hit by the ferry’s generator as she was trying to reach the lifeboat. Taauke’s cousin also survived the tragedy.

Related Stories