- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 60 mins
- Serves: 4
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 large fresh tomatoes (approx. 500 g), grated
- 1 cup passata
- 1½ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500 g eggplant, unpeeled, chopped into large chunks
- 2 zucchini, cut into large chunks
- 2 potatoes, peeled, cut into small chunks
- 1 medium red capsicum, cut into chunks
- Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the onions for about 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Mix in the tomato products, salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Add the remaining vegetables and stir until well combined. Cover with lid and simmer for about 45 minutes until the stew is very soft. Add ½ cup of boiling water, if required, to prevent stew catching on the bottom of the pot. (Alternatively, cook for 1 minute at high pressure using a pressure cooker).
- Serve stew hot or cold with crusty bread. (Note: Leftovers can be refrigerated but stew is unsuitable for freezing.)
Energy 2049 kJ (490 cal). Fat 31 g. Protein 10 g. Saturated fat 5 g. Carbohydrate 36 g. Fibre 13 g. Cholesterol 0 mg. Calcium 100 mg. Iron 2.8 mg. Sodium 1060 mg.