- Preparation time: 10
- Cooking time: 30
- Serves: 8
- 1 cup farro
- 4 cups water
- 1 bunch kale, washed and dried
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 6 Medjool dates, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place farro and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Remove kale from stem and place in the food processor and process until fine.
- Combine dressing ingredients and massage dressing into the kale with your fingers for a few minutes.
- Add farro, walnuts, pomegranate and dates.
- Gently toss through salad. Serves 8.
- Farro is an ancient wholegrain and is an excellent source of fibre, protein, magnesium and iron
- Massaging the kale for a few minutes softens the kale and makes it easier to digest, plus reduces the bitter taste of the kale
PER SERVE: Energy (kJ) 786; Cal 188; Protein (g) 3.8; Fat (g) 11.0; Saturated fat (g) 1.2; Carbohydrate (g) 14.9; Sugars (g) 7.4; Fibre (g) 3.2; Sodium (mg) 75; Potassium (mg) 156; Calcium (mg) 18; Iron (mg) 0.5