- Preparation time: 10
- Cooking time: 25
- Serves: 6
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for cooking the patties
- 2 medium red onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs water
- 3 medium zucchini, grate and squeeze to remove excess water
- 1 cup fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Bring lentils and water to the boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes until soft. Drain.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until brown and soft. Add brown sugar and water. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes. Cool.
- Place lentils, onion, zucchini, breadcrumbs, flour, eggs and spices in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Drizzle approx 1/2 tsp oil into a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Scoop 1/4 or 1/3 cup mixture into the hot pan, depending on fritter size preference. Add more oil as required with each batch.
- Cook patties for 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat with more oil and remaining batter as required. Makes 12 to 18 patties.
PER SERVE: Energy (kJ) 1430; Cal 341; Protein (g) 17; Fat (g) 7.0; Saturated fat (g) 1.0; Carbohydrate (g) 49; Sugars (g) 9.0; Fibre (g) 7.0; Sodium (mg) 183; Potassium (mg) 698; Calcium (mg) 71; Iron (mg) 3.8.