- Preparation time: 20 mins
- Cooking time: 0 mins
- Serves: 36
- 4 tbsp shredded coconut
- 200 g pistachio nuts
- 500 g pitted prunes
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- Cut four sheets of foil/cling wrap (approx. 30 cm x 30 cm). Place on bench and sprinkle a tablespoon of coconut towards one end of each sheet.
- Place pistachios into a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add prunes and cardamom to the processor and blend until a thick and sticky mixture forms and comes together like dough.
- Transfer the prune mixture to the bowl with chopped nuts and stir until well combined.
- Divide mixture into four even-sized balls (about 170 g each). Then, taking each ball in turn, roll between your hands into a log approximately 18 cm long and place onto a prepared sheet and roll over the coconut to coat. Wrap logs tightly and secure ends.
- Refrigerate logs for at least 2 hours, then unwrap and cut into 1-cm pieces. Makes approximately 72 pieces (36 serves). Place pieces into a container and line each layer with baking paper. Store in the fridge for up to six months.
- Swap cardamom for cinnamon or chai spices.
- Freeze pieces for a more chewy texture.
- Chop pieces and add to porridge.
PER 2 PIECES: energy 281 kJ (67 cal); protein 1 g; fat 3 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; carbohydrate 5 g; fibre 2 g; calcium 13 mg; iron 0.4 mg; sodium 2 mg.