- Preparation time: 10
- Cooking time: 55
- Serves: 6
- 2 tbs oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp marmite
- 425g can tomatoes, chopped
- 415g can canellini beans, drained
- 1 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 kg frozen mixed vegetables (approx 8 cups)
- 4 medium potatoes
- ½ cup reduced-fat cheese, grated
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan and saute onion for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add tomato paste and marmite and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir through chopped tomatoes, beans and parsley. Add frozen vegetables and stir to coat with tomato mixture. Remove from heat and place in a large casserole dish.
- Slice potato thinly and layer over vegetable mixture. Brush with remaining oil and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 180°C for 45 minutes or until golden.
- Sweet potato (kumara) can also be used instead of regular potato to bring a different flavour to this recipe.
- This recipe can be made lactose/dairy free or vegan by replacing the cheese with a layer of bread crumbs and pine nuts to create a crunchy crust.
- A can of soy beans can be used instead of cannellini beans.
PER SERVE: Energy (kJ) 1410; Cal 335; Protein (g) 17; Fat (g) 9.0; Saturated fat (g) 2.0; Carbohydrate (g) 40; Sugars (g) 12; Fibre (g) 14.2; Sodium (mg) 375; Potassium (mg) 1460; Calcium (mg) 194; Iron (mg) 4.3